Wednesday, April 16, 2008

changing tides

I used to be the girl who walked into the bar and the bartender would shout out, "your regular?" and a glass of blackbush on the rocks would be waiting for me. I drank hard, played hard and managed to get an ivy league degree.

Times have changed as evidenced by my experience this morning...

I walked into the GNC Smoothie bar and the "bartender" called out past the several women gathered waiting, "your regular?" and there appeared my peanut butter suprise, with chocolate soy milk and no smoothie powder (it adds a huge chunk of calories and you don't miss it.) It occurred to me that I am older, a mother of one with another on the way and it has been a long time since I drank Irish whiskey in a smoky bar, you can't even smoke in bars anymore. So what if my drink of choice has the word surprise in it. I am still recognizable by my beverage and somehow that makes me happy.