Thursday, July 9, 2009

You are not alone ...

So Michael Jackson's passing reminded me how happy I am not to be in TV anymore. First, although sad that he died young leaving small children, I have felt largely agnostic about the whole event. Even my empathy button was left unpushed and I quietly began to ask close friends if they felt the same.

By and large, most folks liked his music, my sister had an obsession with Thriller, and I have fond memories of dancing around the bunk at sleepaway camp to Rockin Robin, but had no desire to watch the public grieving on TV. Pedophile or trapped in a golden cage, the life of MJ did not capture my attention so it is logical that the death would follow suit. I will admit one thing though; when the story first started to hit twitter, I was glued to feed, like I used to be to the AP wire at work,it was a creepy but familiar rush to see who would confirm the lead first, double sourcing and slamming it out.

And then I went home to the boys.